Michael Edward Jarrett
Location : Tyler, Texas
Phone : 903-730-6637
Toll Free : 888–496–4953
Fax : 903-597-7322
Email : E-mail Me
Michael E. Jarrett, shareholder, received his board certification in Family Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1994. He is a member of the Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists.
Michael received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Austin College in 1984. He received his law degree from the Texas Tech University School of Law in 1987. While in law school, Michael served on the Law Review and the Board of Barristers.
Michael’s family law practice encompasses complex property and custody issues.
Michael has spoken at seminars to attorneys and other legal professionals on a number of topics including parental relocation, domestic violence and protective orders.
In 2002, Michael was appointed by the then President-Elect of the State Bar of Texas to serve on the Administration of Rules of Evidence Committee. He has served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Leadership Challenge, an organization benefiting Tyler school children in a number of ways.
Michael’s office is in Tyler, Texas, the county seat of Smith County, but he regularly practices all over East Texas. He makes regular court appearances in Longview, Gregg County; Palestine, Anderson County; Rusk, Cherokee County; Henderson, Rusk County; Quitman, Wood County; Athens, Henderson County; and Canton, Van Zandt County. He also takes cases in Rains County, Hopkins County, Franklin County, Camp County, Upshur County, Panola County, Angelina County, Houston County, and Freestone County.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- 99% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1994
- Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1994
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D. – 1987
- Honors: Board of Barristers – 1986
- Law Review: Texas Tech Law Review, Associate Editor, 1986 – 1987
- Austin College, Sherman, Texas
- B.A. – 1984
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Major: Political Science
- In the Interest of Pringle, 862 S.W.2d 727 (12th Ct. of Appeals 1993)
- Cleaver v. George Staton Co., Inc., 908 SW 2d 468 (12th Ct. of Appeals 1995)
- In Re: M.A.H., 224 S.W.3rd 838 (Tex.App.-Texarkana 2007)
- Richardson Lifestyle Assn. v. Houston, 853 S.W.2d 796 (Tex. App.-Dallas 1993)
- In Re: Bain, 144 S.W.3d 236 (Tex.App.-Tyler 2004)
- Defensive Use of Collateral Witnesses in a Relocation Case, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists Annual Trial Institute, 1997
- Essential Family Law Topics, Smith County Bar Association, 2000-2003, 2005-2006
- Relocation, The Definitive Short Course of Parent-Child Relationships, The University of Texas School of Law, 2007
- Maximizing the Take at Final Property Hearing, Texas Family Law Essentials, 2008
Honors and Awards
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyer, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Named, Best Lawyers in America, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Honors: Board of Barristers, 1986-1987.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Member
- Family Law Council, governing body of the Family Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 2005 – Present
- Administration of Rules of Evidence Committee, 2001 – 2007
- Smith County Bar Association
- Dallas County Bar Association, Past member
- Family Law Council, State Bar of Texas, 2005 – 2009
- Pro Bono Committee, Family Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 2006 – 2009
- Membership Service Committee, Family Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 2005 – 2009
- Former Chairman of the Board, Leadership Challenge
- Smith County Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas
Past Employment Positions
- Tobolowsky, Prager & Schlinger, P.C., Associates, 1990 – 1991
- Wright & Associate, P.C., Associate, 1987 – 1989